Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Traffic

I can imagine a look of frustration and anger when one reads this title. This article is not about human-trafficking or anything close to that. Lets brush aside those controvertial topic which are rife in media now. Lets get into the nitty-gritty of the topic. India's economy is booming and so are the standards of life stlye of people. This has resulted in increasing number of vehicles on the road. Lets consider the case of Chennai. The roads are so narrow here that even the main roads can accomadate only two rows of vehicles. Its impossible to widen all these roads and at this rate there's going to be a traffic signal every 100 meters. Which mode of transport do you think will be comfortable to travel to reach your destination??Comfort here means not the sophistication but how quick you reach there.

Bus - This is ruled out definitely considering the voluminous of people travelling in it and how rickety buses here are due to poor maintenance.

Car - I lose all my patience when i drive and my BP instantly shoots up with the way the motorists and others dodge to go forward. And since it occupies a lot of space you are far left behind on the road. I strictly follow rules and i seem to vent out my anger nowadays on people who break it. I just cant stand when people flout tules in front of my eyes. Very unruly!!And whats wrong if a gal drives??why do men just look down at them as if they are perpetrator of an offensive crime?

Bike - The most convenient way to dodge and march ahead of the traffic. At times we need to forget something called as traffic rules. I think this is the best mode of transport when it comes reaching a place quicker. Lets forget the autos where our safety isn't guranteed.

Sometimes i wonder why the pedestrians walk on the road and not on the pavement. They dont seem to budge even when honked. I found when one day,as i was walking on the road, I tried using the pavement. Gosh its a garbage laiden path breeding with all germs on earth. With the increasing number of accidents & vehicles on the road, things have gone out of hand and unmanageable. I think all we need to do is try not to flout the rules and follow lane discipline. And for heaven sakes do people know that buses have the right of the way whenever they leave a bus stop???People dont seem to pave way for them and the poor drivers are forced to drive recklessly. Definitely one would lose their patience if they drive through around the city one day. If one can follow rules in a foreign country then why not here??The roads are poorly maintained agreed but that shouldn't stop us from violating the rules for our own safety and of the others.

PS : I wasn't bribed by the traffic authorities or any other concern for that matter.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Krithika said...

yes of late it's bcum too diff..post-traffic headache is miserable!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey very good point. I too make it point to follow the rules when I am driving. I might reach the place late but I guess following rules are important. Nice post :)

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe this can be a new dimension to the issue ?

http://mathangirulz.blogspot.com/2007/01/road-safety-week.html

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)... Well ranting about traffic in a country that dosen't follow rules...is fine...cos u have a reason that people don't follow rules!

But..imagine..U have immaculate traffic rules yet...the situation is bad...That I would like to believe that my low bp has actually gone up high! :-S

Besides... :) My latest rant is also on traffic

5:16 PM  
Blogger Hell's Angel said...

krithika -> True!!

Anon -> thank u!! & try not to violate rules anytime..

mathangi -> yeah wat u wrote abt traffic is very true..jus i have elicited a few more examples

Anon -> hmm..tht must be even more agitating..

5:09 PM  
Blogger Rainman said...

@Hell's Angel : Yeah, the traffic situation in Madras is really really bad. When I used to live in Madras, I used to drive a lot, and every day used to be hell, it would take me at least an hour in peak hour traffic to reach my destination. The only advantage was the AC in my car, protecting me from the sweltering heat, and making the long drive bearable. Besides, the roads in Madras suck big-time. And it wasn't much better when I used to ride my Yamaha around either, because of the heat situation in Madras. Overall, driving in Madras is the devil's gift to you ;-)

4:50 AM  
Blogger Karthik Srinivasan said...

Unna ellam Bangalore city-a daily one round thro the main roads of the city drive panna vidanum... U will then fall on the feet of Chennai drivers feeling the difference...

U talk abt pedestrians walking on the road?? huh!! Have u experienced a car or a two wheeler on a pedastrian walk?? And the possibility that a mini truck may enter the road all of a sudden from a pavement blocking ur way?? Go to Bangalore... feel the difference..

And u being the driver curse ppl.. I don't know how good a driver u are.. But everytime I walk on the road I curse atleast 10 ppl on 2/4 wheelers for their senseless driving.. :P

10:50 AM  
Blogger Hell's Angel said...

Brat -> i think i have ranted enuf abt it isn't??Life sucks big time the moment i step out..

KSR -> na enna paavam pannen unaku?? chennai traffic is driving me crazy, bangalore pona ill go mad..:-(..spare me please!!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home